Monday 24 September 2012

Greetings from Cambrai!

I've finally made it to France! After months and months of countdowns and paperwork, I'm here!


I'm currently staying in a little town called Cambrai. My contact person found me a temporary house here that I can live in while I wait for housing to become available in Lille. At first I wasn't too keen on the idea but being here means I'll be tons closer to the schools I'll be teaching at in Caudry. To be honest I've grown fond of the trees and country-ish surrounds of Cambrai in the little time I've been here. 

My first impressions are that everyone is so nice! Everyone I've met has been so helpful, especially my contact person who has gone out of her way to help me and find me somewhere to live. I couldn't have wished for a better welcoming! 

Apart from the people, speaking and hearing French has been both good and bad! I've discovered that my comprehension is better than I thought it was, but my speaking is terrible. You think that you're level back home is pretty good, but when you get here... it's a whole different story! I've got to build up that confidence!

I've spent the last few days in Cambrai just walking and taking everything in. I think I still haven't come around to the fact that I'm actually going to be living here for the next 7 months and it's not a quick holiday. I find myself getting excited about actually putting down roots and putting a life together! I'm sure my tune will change once French bureaucracy starts to ruin my life but for now I am very very optimistic!

Until next time,

Cora

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...